Monday, February 17, 2014

We Went to Adam's Ties this Week. (Feb. 10th Letter)

Adam's ties.
The sign says "That's absolutely senseless, but it looks fun."
Hey family!
Well, it's been another good week here in Poland. Elder Wilson and I had a good time presenting a little bit about member lessons and member relationships during Mission Leadership Council on Thursday. We realized a little bit late that we hadn't prepared all that much, so Wednesday became a very interesting day. Anyway, it was all in good fun.
I'm super glad that you all got a call from the Sheley's! They're so awesome. We had a fun time last Monday. They wanted to get ties from Adam's, but didn't have time to go there. So, they gave us money, and told us to pick out 20 ties for them. We had a good time doing that :).
It's been a good week this week. I enjoyed the opportunity to take part in Mission Leadership Conference and spend time with some great missionaries. Elder Wilson and I haven't seen great results from our labors this week, but we feel that the successes we have had have been meaningful ones. After almost finishing a whole building, we were let in by a young dad who was curious about our message. The message wasn't overly long, nor were we able to explain a whole lot of our message, but this is one of the few times I've been let in while tracting on my mission. When I think that the week before we were also let in and found new people to teach, I'm grateful for the Lord's hand in this work. As we exert our efforts, He helps us to see miracles.
A few of the thoughts I shared in my testimony have been on my mind as of late. I'm learning that the ups and downs of missionary work and leadership is why my mission has come to mean so much to me. If things had been easy or had gone well, my experience here would not be meaningful nor unique for me. I've come to love my mission because it's my mission, and no one else's. Sometimes, I fear that if I don't do everything perfectly, I won't learn the things I need to from my mission nor be able to use my mission as an effective springboard for life. These are the moments, I think, when I am learning to trust the Lord. He knows me, knows my weaknesses, and is incredibly good at predicting what I'm going to do. So, I'm trying to just relax, move forward, do the work I can, and trust in the Lord.
Elder Wilson and I are doing well. He's a great missionary, loves the work, and wants to do his best. Plus, he's a goofball, so we have some good laughs.
I feel like I don't have much to say this week. I don't know why.
This week, the mission is doing a "mini-MTC" for all the polish members who are in the age group where they could serve a mission. That means that B and D (from Szczecin) are going to be coming to the mission home and participating in it. I'm hoping that I'll be able to see them. One of Elder Wilson's recent converts from Katowice is also going to be coming in. His name is D. It's going to be a big old party here in Warsaw. Add into everything that President wants to meet with us to discuss transfers this week, and we have Zone Training. It's going to be a busy one! That's always the best though. I'd rather be busy than have way too much time on my hands.
Hannah bear, Elder Wilson just agreed to be your Valentine. Plus, I'll be it as well. You lucky girl. You have two Valentines! We only placed one copy of the Book of Mormon this week, but we placed it with that young dad, S. It was a well placed book, for sure.
Heath, when do you find out about BYU? Bummer about the AF/LP game. One of the office elders right now went to Lone Peak, so hopefully he doesn't find out and rub it in my face. Speaking of LP, I was talking to one of the american families here in Warsaw yesterday and found out that the wife, went to LP and graduated in 2004. Connections! Anyway, good luck with Sterling Scholar. You'll do great, I'm sure. I don't hear much about the olympics here, so updates would be great. Thanks for maintaining the Vernon legacy at AFHS.
Emms, you lucky dog. I'm jealous you're skiing so much. Tell Coach Ray I say hi. He's the man. Does that mean you decided not to do track? Good luck with lacrosse. Go Poland with gold medals!
Mom, thanks for being awesome. I appreciate everything you do for me, including figuring out schooling and housing and classes and everything. I'd be lost without you. Don't worry, I always try to help with Sister Edgren and do the dishes whenever we're over there. I think she secretly loves cooking for all the missionaries.
I'm not certain whether President Uchtdorf is visiting other missions. I haven't heard much about it. I only know when he'll be in Poland. Pass my love on to Grandma Fernie. I hope she's doing well and I'm glad she enjoyed the chocolate and bell.
Dad, thanks for all the suggestions. I tell you, being a leader is hard work. I don't feel like I know what I'm doing half of the time, but I trust that the Lord is with me. I hope you're enjoying some time in Atlanta and know that I'll be jealous that all of you will be in Iron Blosam this week. I miss that place. Travel safely.
Well everyone, the gospel is true! That's some pretty valuable knowledge right there. I'm grateful for it and for the opportunity to serve here in Poland and help these people come unto Christ. I'm doing my best to strive to help them in any way I can. I love you all. Keep up the great work and enjoy the journey!
Love,
Elder Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment