Monday, February 17, 2014

We had a "mini-MTC" this Weekend.

Hey family!
It's been a good week here in Poland.
We had a pretty stellar miracle this week. We had come home from a meeting on Thursday and had an hour before we were to end our day. Neither Elder Wilson nor I were very excited to go contacting for the last hour. We didn't feel like it was going to be all that effective nor that anything would come of it, but we got out and did it anyway. We're glad we did. While contacting, there a was a kid standing a little ways off by a metro stop. It would have been easy to simply pass him and not make the effort to go over and contact him. I thought, however, that it was worth a shot. I'm glad we went over and talked to him. We ended up talking for about 20 minutes. He was super excited to hear our message and received it openly. When it came time to give him a copy of the Book of Mormon, he was so thrilled to take it. He held it like it were a gold nugget or priceless treasure. Then, when we called him a few days later, he had already read half of it. It was pretty remarkable. He had committed to come to church yesterday, but didn't show up. We're not totally sure what's going on, but we were glad to be a tool in the Lord's hands to help him at least be introduced to the gospel message.
Another great thing we saw happen this week was on Monday. Family Home Evening now starts at 6:30, and L was teaching the lesson, so we didn't want to miss it. Yet, we didn't want to waste time, seeing as there is now a half hour from the end of P-day to the start of the meeting. So, we decided to just go contacting around the chapel. Yes, it's not our area, and we could easily just leave our apartment at 6:00 and take up the half hour with travel time, but we felt it would be better to spend those 30 minutes talking to people. I'm sure glad we did. We handed out two copies of the Book of Mormon and got another number for a potential. It was some of the most effective contacting I've had on my mission. I know that when we make our time on P-day effective, we are blessed greatly.
I'm learning to be patient with myself on my mission. Realizing that I am a perfectionist and that I want to do everything perfectly has helped. The fact of the matter is that I'm not perfect. I make mistakes. Things don't always go perfectly, and at some point I have to be okay with that. I'm learning how to do it. My mission has definitely been and still is a growing process for me. The Lord has taught me a lot about who I am, what I am to do, and how He wants me to do it. I'm happy to be serving Him and doing the things He wants me to do.
Elder Wilson and I are doing well. He's a great companion and one of my best friends. I'm so lucky to serve with him. I'm super grateful for all that he does for me.
So, transfers are going on on the 26th of February. We're meeting with President in about a half hour to discuss them all. I'm excited to see what will happen.
In other news, we had something called a "mini-MTC" this weekend at the mission office. They brought in all of the Polish Young Single Adults and older Youth who would be eligible for a mission. There were 13 of them. Elder Wilson and I were invited for the opening dinner with them at the mission home. I was able to see D and B from Szczecin. It was super fun and such a good time. I love them so much. After the dinner, we ended up getting roped into doing a "role-play" in front of everyone who was there to demonstrate teaching for them. Yikes. Two Americans teachings polish people how to teach, in polish, and as missionaries. It was a bit stressful, but we enjoyed it. We did a pretty good job as well. It's super fun to associate with all the polish members, especially the youth. I was able to meet a lot of them and get to know them better. They're awesome and are going to be such strength to the church in the coming years.
Well, unfortunately, my time is short and we've got to get to President's house to discuss transfers. I love you all. Heath, congrats on Sterling Scholar. Doobs, you've got great polish ;). Emms, I bet you tore up the slopes. Mom, I love you and thanks for being the greatest mom ever. Dad, thanks for all the great comments. Have a great week and I'll let you know who my new companion is next time!
Love,
Elder Vernon
Hey, the gospel's true!

No comments:

Post a Comment