Monday, February 3, 2014

I am trying to simply be myself (January 27th letter)

Hey howdy hey family!
It's been a great week. It's so strange. I feel like my memory has been shot as an Assistant. I don't seem to remember much of what goes on during the week, and then when I get to emailing, I just don't feel like I have anything to say. So, hopefully my email this week won't be too bland. Plus, we don't have a whole ton of time anyway for emailing usually, so it makes things kind of hectic. I can't think of too many logistical things that I need to get figured out. Honestly, for my birthday, I can't think of anything that I really want. You don't need to feel obligated to send me anything. There'll probably be a fair amount of things I want to buy here and different things I'll want to take home with me. Hopefully I won't be blowing too much money or anything. I don't know if I have anything else to figure out. Sounds like things are ok with BYU and all, just let me know when registration needs to happen.
We had a successful exchange in Bydogszcz this week with Elders K and W.
A miracle I saw this week was actually on the exchange. Elder W and I were contacting when we talked to a man who wanted a copy of the Book of Mormon but didn't have time to talk to us at all. He simply wanted to grab it and go. I'm always a little bit hesitant to give a copy of the Book of Mormon away so freely, so we gave him a restoration pamphlet and told him to contact us for a free copy of the Book of Mormon. We then went on our way. As we were searching for a certain street in Bydgoszcz, we recognized that we didn't exactly know where it was. We asked a lady for directions, and she turned us down a side street which would eventually lead us to where we needed to go. Well, they were actually false directions, but we ended up meeting our friend to whom we gave a restoration pamphlet about 5 minutes earlier. This time, he had a few minutes to talk, and we gave him a copy of the Book of Mormon and set up to meet with him the next day. Even though we were led down a wrong street, we still found success. Sometimes, the hand of God isn't so apparent and instant in our lives, but I'm glad it was in this case.
I'm trying to simply be myself this transfer as an assistant. In the past, when I was in leadership positions, I always felt like I had to be a perfect missionary. I am not a perfect missionary but I'm an obedient missionary and I do my best to follow the rules. I guess, I just want missionaries to see that I'm no different than them. I have struggles as well, I feel vulnerable at times, and just because I'm called as an Assistant, that doesn't place me on a pedestal or make me any different than them.
I'm loving working with Elder Wilson. He's a fantastic missionary. We have a lot of fun together. We're excited to have another exchange this week and hope to see some great things happen because of it.
The weather here has definitely taken a turn for the colder. I'm honestly debating about trying to go find a pair of dress boots. I seem to do fine everywhere else, but my feet haven't been all that warm as of late. I don't want to go blow a ton of money on them since I won't be using them a ton, but we'll see what I can find. Elder Wilson and I also plan to go do some clothes shopping today. Dad, I'm looking into getting some new shirts, possibly a new suit, etc. Heather, you're going to have to help me when I get home. I know basically nothing about style anymore. It's weird not having so many women at home, because nobody will stop me and tell me if my clothes match or not. I've missed it.
I don't know what else to say now. I've actually got to run. President just came in with an issue he wants to discuss. I love you all. The gospel is true! Poland loves you all too. Have a great week and good luck with everything. Heath, great job on Sterling Scholar stuff! Dad, thanks for the advice. Mom, keep on being the best mom in the world! Emms, good luck with ballet! Hannah bear, love you lots. Humorous. Beat ya.
Love,
Elder Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment