Monday, February 24, 2014

My Birthday was Good!!

Family!
So, my birthday was good. We didn't have a chance to throw much of a party or anything, but we made it enjoyable. We've got a threesome going on right now, of me, Elder Wilson, and Elder Lanham, and it's been lots of fun. Elder Lanham's a super cool kid. It's been great to get to know him better. As it turns out, he's super close with none other than B P (one of my lacrosse coaches). In thinking about it, I had some of the best coaches ever. The Lord's been so good to me. Anyway, in returning to my birthday, I basically just pigged out on Reeses. Thank you for my birthday package! The shoes fit perfectly. I also received grandma's package. Tell her thanks from me. We had a meeting with President last night, and ended up eating dinner over there, but we're going to have another "birthday dinner" for me later this week. It'll be fun. I'm excited. Plus, Sister Edgren is going to make Banana Cream Pie for it. I'm so excited! Dad, I felt like you'd appreciate that.
This has been a good week. It's been busy what with all the transfers and figuring out things with the threesome, but it's been enjoyable.
I was a little bit nervous about switching companions, but I've come to peace with it. As soon as Elder Lanham got into Warsaw, things just seemed to flow. I don't know how to describe it all that well, but the longer I've been around Elder Lanham, the more confident I am that he's the companion the Lord knows that I need at this time. I can't pick out one big spiritual experience with this week that affected me, but it's been great to see the small confirming assurances that the Lord is placing in my path to help me know that He's pleased with my work.
I had a comforting experience last night as we met with President and discussed different things dealing with the mission. Elder Wilson, Elder Lanham, and I all discussed it afterward. It definitely felt like a revelatory experience--more so than any of the other meetings we've had in the past. I think part of it has to do with Elder Lanham. I'm impressed by his maturity and his understanding already of what he needs to do. As soon as he came in, he was asking questions about the mission, wondering what we can do to best help everyone. I'm excited to see what sort of good work we can do together.
I was very appreciative to have an interview this week. I'm grateful for the chance to be an assistant and serve around President frequently. I'm learning how to deal with stress in a better, more healthy way, and learning the lessons the Lord wants me to learn. It's a growing experience, but it's getting better day by day. I'm nowhere near perfect, and I'm learning to be ok with that. Yet, I can see the Lord's hand in my life and I'm getting better and learning how to effectively deal with my weaknesses and move forward, even when other things might stand as obstacles in my way.
The longer I'm on my mission, the more I'm beginning to appreciate the basics of the gospel. I feel like I've talked about this before, but all these basic things are becoming so precious to me the longer and more diligently I do them. Prayer and scripture study are some of my favorite things now because of the strength they give me. My approach on the street has also begun to change a bit. I find myself talking to people about their personal relationship with God all the time. I love talking about prayer. I do it all the time. It's so great.
So, Elder Wilson is staying in Warsaw, which means I get to see him all the time! I'm excited for that. He's also living on a street called Wilson's flat. How's that for coincidence? He's super excited. It'll be good. He's also serving with President Spencer W. Kimball's great grandson. They'll do well together.
We're beginning to prepare for zone conference. It will be the week of March 5th, so it's coming up soon. I'm excited to go around the mission and see all the missionaries. I feel like that will be a big blessing.
I'm super excited about Starszy! Dad, you were dead on. You pronounce it just like starship but without the p. But, you can say it however you all want. I'll probably pronounce it the polish way. I'm just a polish junkie, that's all.
Note from Mom: This is Starszy (our new Australian shepherd).  
The word "Starszy" means "Elder" in Polish.

For Elder Vernon's birthday we told him about our new puppy.


Well, I love you all. Sorry for the short letter. I appreciate hearing about all of your week's though. Emms, good luck with track and lacrosse. I hope you make varsity! Heath, good luck with Sterling Scholar. Hannah bear, way to go on making the cake. Dad, you're the best member missionary I know. Mom, thanks for being patient and being my personal secretary! Remember, the gospel's true!
Love,
Elder Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment