Sunday, August 12, 2012

MTC Letter #7

Hey family!
Mom and Dad, I'm so happy to hear you made it all the way on the ULCER. I'm sure it was hard, but I'm glad you perservered. Awesome picture at the finish.
Mom, Alma 36 is fantastic. Thanks for the update on the Chiasmus. I actually already have it marked thoroughly in my scriptures. Pretty cool, huh?
Dad, I'm glad to hear you're still giving out copies of the BofM when you travel. Missionary work really is the greatest work. It brings the Spirit like nothing else can. It's so powerful. I can't wait to get out there and share it with the people of Poland. Speaking of which, I leave in two weeks. I'm geeking out about it a little bit. It's coming up way too fast. I'm not ready to leave the MTC yet. I'm just going to make the most of the time I have left.
Thanks so much for Grandpa's music. I love it. It's so great to be able to play it in my spare time. What a blessing it is to have that music still. I love it.
Hannah, thanks so much for the tree! It's awesome. Mom, the packages are great. Everyone loves the CTR rings. I even gave some to some of my buddies who are headed to the Phillippines. It was funny to hear them try to say wybieraj sprawiedliwość (choose justice). It also means choose righteousness, but the word is more commonly used as justice. Kinda funny. As for what you send in the packages mom, I"m always happy with whatever. I just love getting mail from the family.
So, is everyone excited for bear lake? I know I would be. I'm sure you'll all have a wonderful time. Heath, I'm glad you still can get up on a wakeboard and that you're finally realizing the beauty of the cabin. It's a wonderful place out there. Emms, watch out for moving boats. We wouldn't want you falling off of one again ;). Heath, I heard that Nick Clark got hit in the eye with a paintball. Any news about that? Is he alright? I hope he's going to be ok and he can still go on his mission. I also heard that Taylor Lindsey has his call to Germany. Now that's exciting. I'm glad he's getting out on his mission. He'll be a fantastic missionary.
We got to go to the temple again today. I love it. The temple is so awesome. We did some initiatories today. What a tender mercy from the Lord to have a temple so close to the MTC.
We get to go on a second field trip today. One of the sides of my glasses are a bit too tight, so we're going to get them adjusted this afternoon. Again, we're off to see the real world!
We had some excitement yesterday. In our building, a couple floor up, a lightbulb exploded. It set off the fire alarms and everything so we had to evacuate for a half hour or so while five fire trucks came to the MTC to check things out. Definitely not something that happens every week, huh? It was really cool.
So, I get to host the new missionaries this wednesday. I'm pretty excited. Especially since one of my best buddies from college, Ethan Forbes, is coming in. I'm hoping I'll be able to host for him. That'd be super cool.
For devotionals this week we heard from Rex D. Pinegar on tuesday. What a fantastic speaker. I learned so much. One of my favorites things he said was this: "There is a spirit in this work that is undefinable." That is true. I haven't even really been doing real missionary work, but I can feel the Spirit so strong in the role plays that we do. It's incredible. Elder Pinegar talked about commitment for a lot of his talk. It was a great reminder for me to really recommit myself to this work and be the best missionary I can be. I'm striving every day to learn and grow in this gospel so I can continue to teach it to the people of Poland. I also got to sing "Faith of our Fathers" with the choir. That was an incredible experience. I absolutely loved it. That's such a powerful song.
Yesterday, we heard from the second counselor of the MTC presidency and his wife. Lon Nally and Kaye Nally. They were awesome. They talked about how to teach with power. The four main points they outlined were to be obedient, diligent, selfless, and courageous. If we do all four things, we will teach with power. It was a wonderful fireside that taught me so much about how to be the best missionary I can be.
My companion and I are really progressing along with our teaching. We're using very few notes if any every time, and we are really learning to teach with unity. He's very knowledgeable about the principles of the gospel. I'm always impressed with what he has to say. We are very different, that much is for sure, but it has been really cool to watch the Lord take both of our skills and put them together so that we can teach with unity and power.
I love you all. I hope you have a great time in Bear Lake. This is the Lord's work. I can testify of that. Mom, I hope your lesson was fantastic in church. I'm sure you did great. Heather, I'm glad you've been spending time with the Judd's. They're a great family. Tell them all I say hello and that I miss them, especially Sarah and PJ. Emms, keep working hard in lacrosse and learn how to drive that boat. I'm expecting a solid pull when I get back. Hannah, I love you and hope you are learning lots about the Holy Ghost. I love getting little pictures and trees from you!
Mom and Dad, I love you. You're the best parents I could ask for. I'm so blessed to have all of you as a family and to have the friends here and at home that I do. I love it. You're all great. Remember, the gospel is true!
With love,
Elder Vernon


No comments:

Post a Comment