Monday, May 19, 2014

The term "bittersweet" has never had so much meaning as it does now.

Hey Family!
Sorry, but my time is super short. We've got to run to an exchange we've got going on today. We'll be in Gdańsk with Elders J and W (second one is from Norway). It'll be a lot of fun, but as such, our P-day has become crunched for time.
I've found myself studying the concept of light lately. It's something that has been enlightening. Ha, no pun intended. Anyway, I've placed the concept of Christ being the light of the world on the background of thinking clearly. The gospel is really intended for us to have a clear perspective of why we're here and what we're doing. So many people are lost in their own thoughts. We get so caught up in the course of our daily life that we often miss the big picture and the peace and comfort provided by the gospel. When I think about light as a source of illumination, it becomes quickly clear to me why Christ is considered "the light of the world." He is the source of our illumination as to thinking clearly about this life, and the life to come. The gospel centers around Him, and without Him, we are left in darkness. It's a beautiful concept.
It's been a good week. Things have been a little bit hectic, but enjoyable nonetheless.
I've felt a bit slow this week. Honestly, I'm getting tired. Part of me can see the end of my mission in sight and wants it to be here already, while the other part of me never wants it to end. I've never felt so torn. The term "bittersweet" has never had so much meaning as it does now. For a long time on my mission, I had all these hopes and dreams about how I was going to end my mission with all these strict rules and consecration. Now, it seems like it's taking all my efforts to just finish strong. In the end, I think that's the way I should do it. I feel that I've served my mission honorably for the time I've been here. Maintaining pace and treating every day the same is the way I feel I can serve best to the end. My mission hasn't been made by the last few months, nor by one day or two. It's a whole. I want to treat it as such.
I had a great exchange with Elder F. He's a stellar missionary. I've come to love the kid much more during my time in Poland.
A few other highlights from the week were being able to participate in something called the night of the museums here in Warsaw. Most all museums here in Warsaw stayed open all night to allow others to come see what they hold. They opened up the chapel here in Warsaw for family history purposes, and we were allowed to stay along with a pair of sisters to lead guests around the chapel and show them what we do. It was a lot of fun. We didn't stay up too late, don't worry ;). We still made it in by 10, as was requested by President. There was a super cute little girl there who reminded me of Hannah. One of the Sisters took her under her wing and drew pictures with her. I ended up getting one. It was of a seal. This little girl, E, told me it was of me. We had a good laugh about it. I love little kids.
Anyway, it's been a good week. Life is good here in Poland. I'm doing my best to finish strong. I love you all. The gospel is true!
Love,
Elder Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment