Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Poland Letter #11

Family!
I'm very sad to hear about Rick, but glad that everyone is doing well with everything. It was a bit of a shocker that he went so fast, but I have a great testimony of the Plan of Salvation. I know it is real and that we will see him again. In reality, he was just needed more on the other side. He was a great man and Uncle and I know I had a lot that I learned from him. I especially remember going to the BYU-SDSU basketball game with him a few years back. What a fun time we had. He's a smart man about basketball, and even more so about the Gospel. I'm excited to see his funeral program and thank you for the pictures.
I apologize we didn't get a chance to email yesterday, but I am glad you figured it out. Yes, we did have zone conference, and it was crazy good! I learned tons and tons. President Nielson had two main points. First, he talked about old bottles and old garments in Luke 5 and how we as missionaries cannot take these new things we learn and put them into old bottles. They will get lost and just break. We have to be willing to change and move forward with these things that we learn. He also talked about the two questions God asked Adam in the Garden of Eden. "Where art thou?" and "Where goest thou?" These are not questions that God needs to know the answer to. He already knows. Instead, it was President's idea (and I agree) that we should take these as spiritual questions. Where do we stand spiritually, and where are we going? I think those are great questions we can ask ourselves daily. When we can gain a great perspective of where we are and what we need to do in order to stay in line with the Lord's wishes, we can eliminate a lot of problems we might have otherwise. Sis. Nielson also was up and about and actually came to zone conference! It was great to see her. She is doing great and was quite excited about being able to "take a piece of Poland home with her" (in other words, her defibrilator). She also told us the whole story of what happened to her from her own perspective and in her own words. I don't even know how to describe what it felt like to hear that. All I know is I am very glad the Nielsons are still in Poland and I feel very blessed to have them as my Mission President and his wife.

We also have a new investigator this week named D. She is a champion. She is super ready for the gospel and is reading the Book of Mormon. We've already met with her three times too. We're hoping to see her continue to progress. We'll see what happens in the future.
 
Day of the Dead was also this week. I'm sending home a few pictures from that. It was really cool to see all of the graves lit up and decorated. I'd be interested to know some more of the history behind it, but I haven't found any out yet. All I know is all the candles looked super sweet.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I also had an exchange with Elder Harris this week. It was a lot of fun and we got some good work done. He is a champion missionary, and quite a character. He has some great one-liners and adds a lot of liveliness to the district for sure.
 
So, another cool experience with contacting this week. We were talking to a man, explaining about the Book of Mormon, and he was curious why we were in Poland. He figured there were plenty of better places for us to be. I looked him in the eye and testified to him that we are called of God and Poland is exactly where I need to be. As I did, I felt the Spirit testify to me again that this is exactly where I need to be, that there are people here I need to talk to, and that the Lord is placing those people in my path. It was a big boost for me to be reminded of all that and to know the Lord is pleased with what I am doing. I know He is helping me every step of the way.
I have now received both of Grandma Honey's packages! I got them both this week, the second today in fact. The peanut butter is great. I'm a big fan. I'll keep an eye out for yours mom.

Mom, I got a good coat, don't worry. I'm also sending home a picture of me in it so you know that it looks good and it's warm. I've also got good gloves and still working on that hat, but I'm using an old one of Elder Mikolyski's right now. I love you Mom and thank you for everything!

Hannah Bear, that sounds so exciting that you went trick-or-treating! You're so brave. I bet you loved Halloween, huh? Did you get lots of candy? Love you lots.
Emms, I'm sorry you had a tough week. It's crazy how fast life can change like that. I hope this week is better though. Plus, something Pres. Nielson said yesterday might help. He said, "Difficult days are the days that determine who we are." I hope you love the new skis. I'm going to be dying not being able to ski this year. I'll miss it bad, but I'm doing something more important. Love you.
Heath, I'm glad you're moving around more and that you're enjoying school. Elder Bokinsky is a knee expert and was telling me all about the surgery they probably did and everything on your knee, especially with your meniscus. It was interesting to hear. Anyway, I love you, keep working hard, and enjoy the journey with your knee. It will all be better soon, I know it. And I'm glad Connor cut his hair.
Dad, thank you for the insights. They are very helpful. I love you greatly too and look forward to everything you send. I'm glad to hear those helps from Pres. Scoresby. They are very comforting. I love you greatly as well.
Well family, I'm working hard, doing my best, and I know this is the Lord's work. I feel so blessed to be able to testify of that daily. I love you all and I know this church is true. Joseph was a prophet, and the Lord restored His church through him.
With lots of love.
Elder Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment