Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Some More Peanut Butter Would Be NIce


Hey family!
Yes, I definitely look forward to P-day! I love being able to hear from you guys and read your emails! It's so great to have such an awesome family. Thanks for always having an email in my inbox ready for me every Monday! It's such a great feeling to have a family that loves me so much!
Ok, so to get some logistical things out of the way first and foremost. Mom, about transfers, they happen in two weeks from this Thursday. In other words, we find out not this Sunday, but the one after that, on September 1st.
As for things I need, I know there was something I wanted, but I can't remember what it was. I don't think it was food related either. Oh well. I'm sure I can live without it. Some more peanut butter would be nice though! I'm running low. 
Ok, now onto the week.
It's been a great week here in Bydgoszcz. Elder R and I had a great time traveling and teaching Zone Training. I feel that the missionaries for the most part were very receptive and ready to take what they had learned and apply it. I know that Elder R and I are trying our best to live what we teach. When at first the idea came across of changing our perspective and shooting for higher goals, I knew it was going to require more work from me than I had been putting forth. But, I figured that with a higher vision, it would be easy. I'm learning quickly that it's not. I'm striving to put forth more effort and become a better missionary. The natural man is assuredly not left at home when we come on a mission, but I'm trying to overcome him more each day.
Elder R and I have a main focus for the next little while. We're striving to really nail the daily schedule to the wall and be exactly obedient with it. We feel that as we do so, we will be able to improve our work and qualify for the blessings the Lord is willing to give us regarding this work. It's not going to be an easy task, but we're excited to get to work on it and do our best. In reading a talk by Elder Uctdorf this week, I learned that it's not always smart to speed up one's schedule and simply have more to do. Real strength does not come from pure busyness. Strength comes from a sure foundation. I've noticed that my contacting has become weaker than it was. I know I need to build up such a fundamental part in missionary work, and by doing so, everything else will improve. So, it's back to basics with a focus on the schedule and on effective contacting.
I've been learning a lot recently about the power of a single act of faith and of diligence. Elder R and I, in preparing for Zone Training, expounded on the pattern that Elder R talked about regarding President Hinckley's mission story. We discovered that it was an act of faith that always lead someone out of discouragement and despair. The bigger the act of faith, the more hope they received, and the higher vision. That's not to say that every act of faith will have such staggering results. We see with Nephi that it took 3 times before he obtained the plates of brass. Yet, that's how we break the cycle. We shared this with our zone, and we think it helped greatly. As to diligence, I've been realizing just how much I can really give in this work. I may not be a perfect missionary, and I know I can't be a perfect missionary all the time, but I'm focusing on improvement, on giving more, and doing all I can in a certain time period. I'm confident that by doing so, the Lord will help me improve and get better.
A great experience Elder R and I had this week happened last night during contacting. We had been struggling with our contacting, as I mentioned above. We hadn't given out a copy of The Book of Mormon during contacting in a long time until last night. The man we did give one to, was actually someone who had met the church a long time ago, but had somehow lost contact and his Book of Mormon. We gave him another one, quickly set up for a meeting this Tuesday, and got his address. Elder R and I were where we had planned to be, heading toward a destination, and contacting along the way, and we saw the blessings from being obedient.
Elder R and I continue to get along well. He's a great companion who knows how to love those around him. I'm learning lots from him, and I'm grateful we're able to work together.
K, our recent convert, gave a talk in church yesterday! We had no idea that she was giving it, so we didn't have a chance to help her prepare for it. She did a great job. She's continuing to do well.
Another cool thing that happened was that a random guy walked into church this week. We asked him some questions and found out that he was baptized by the original missionary couple here, the Fusseks! He had moved to Bydgoszcz some time back, and just showed up in church yesterday. We were very glad to have him with us. We got his phone number and we'll see what happens in the future with him. Hopefully we'll be able to re-activate him fully and see some good things from it.
Last night, we were out contacting, and we almost got trapped by a huge storm. It looked super menacing. We were scared, because we didn't have umbrellas, and neither of us wanted to get wet. Anyway, we ended up getting home about 9:02 and evading the storm by about 45 seconds. It was some seriously good timing. We were grateful the Lord kept us dry and warm.
It sounds like AFHS is doing well and that Heather is going to own the place this year! Tell Trev and Brendan Thacker to work hard and play well this year. I'm excited for them.
Oh, I just remembered what I wanted. Mom, it would be cool to see some blog updates from my friends again. I don't want you to stress about it, but if you remember, it would be nice.
In telling you a bit more about our schedule this week, Zone Conference is this Friday here in Bydgoszcz. We're excited. It sounds like there's going to be some great things taught and some important lessons to learn.
Go Momma Vernon! You're gonna be the best receptionist ever! I'm excited for you. Tell Grant that I miss him and hope he's doing well. You'll be working with Parker's dad too! I love the Farnsworth family. Keep up the great work as a gospel doctrine teacher and being the best mom in the world!
Dad. Good luck with work this week. Sounds like they're really keeping you busy. That's good though.
Hannah! Keep being the doober and have the best school year ever! It sounds like it will be lots of fun. It's ok that Tao is addicted to fancy feast. She's old and deserves some good food. I have a poem for you! I'm in poland and I'm fat. My little sister has a cat! I wear lots and lots of ties, and I send my family hi's!
Heath, go rock the world this year! You're gonna be great. Tell Griggs hello for me, as well as Ben. I miss those guys. They're the best. Tell Coach Atwood hi for me. You'll love his AP Euro class. It was one of my favorites. Have fun while you can! High school passes fast.
Emms! That Farnsworth family is awesome! Of course they have a girl your age. Hopefully you and her can become good friends. You'll be fine with the adjustment. Just be yourself and have a good time.
I love you all! The gospel is true! Time is short, cuz I need a haircut, but I'll talk to you all next week!
With lots of love,
Elder Vernon

No comments:

Post a Comment